Saturday, August 16, 2008

Through the keyhole

The operation has gone well. They have taken out a slice of Quent's lung, complete with tumour, half of which was immediately given to Prof's research team for analysis. They managed to do it keyhole and it took about 2 hours all told.

It was actually the second slice they took - they missed the tumour with the first one, apparently, but Mr Jones, the surgeon, assures me that this is not a problem. If you're trying to imagine how this all works, I think it's pretty similar to an exploding pie chart on an excel spreadsheet. (I might be over simplifying cardiothoracic surgery a little here.)

Quent is now on ITU and was snoring loudly when I left. He was awake enough to smile and crack a few jokes ("Where's the kango hammer?" amongst others), but he was basically very drowsy - and surrounded by monitors, drips, drugs, drains etc. Not really my scene, but it was lovely to see him smile when he realised I was there.

I snuck off this evening to celebrate the end of a long week with Anita and Helen Randle - a few tapas, a couple of glasses of wine, a good girlie natter and I am now ready for my bed. For the first time since Quent was diagnosed (and probably several years before that), his body is clear of tumours. Hallelujah and thank you - you've got us this far.

I will be in the hospital all day tomorrow, with no internet access or mobile phone coverage on the intensive care ward. But I will post again tomorrow, hopefully with even more positive news.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sylvaine said...

Thanks for posting so early in the morning! We thought about you yesterday all afternoon and we're really glad the operation went well. Quent: what a champion!
Take good care and have a good rest.
Sylvaine&Panny
(In Cyprus from 02/10 to 14/10)

Saturday, August 16, 2008 9:05:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home