Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A little knowledge...

We had a great bank holiday in York seeing people from both sides of the family. Oakley saw 4 of his cousins and had a ball. We delighted in seeing him from a distance – on the trampoline, in the park, playing “cool” as he called it (pool to the rest of us). He was bathed, fed and generally pampered by Kate and her friends.

Meanwhile I had my crash course in cancer research from Rob the Reader.

I had already worked out from the Cochrane paper that the survival rates vary little between treatments, but there seemed to be several mentions of Interleukin-2 having much better “complete response” rates. I took this to mean cure (misleading all of you into the bargain) and was hooked.

Rob the Reader saw straight through this. “What is this vague term “complete response”?”, he asked. We drilled down from the Cochrane Collaboration paper into the individual papers and found that “complete response” means a disease-free period of at least 4 weeks. Four weeks? No wonder politicians are called spin doctors. “Bloody marketing”, as Quent would say.

I admit that the news had me, fairly unsuccessfully, fighting back tears. I had pinned so much hope on those “complete response” statistics, only to find out they are not all they’re cracked up to be. Rob has put me straight (thankfully). I need to be focusing on survival rates (life expectancy) rather than response rates (which relate more to the size of the tumour). The two things that matter are the length and quality of Quent’s life.

We are very lucky to have such experts on our side. We have another friend, David, a very respected renal consultant, who has been warning us quite strongly not to dash down the US route. After our last phone call with him, Quent was pretty convinced that UK was the answer. But, in spite of Dr Savage and David’s concerns, I couldn’t let go of the “complete cure” stuff. I guess I just desperately wanted to believe it.

We are going to try to find out more about the patients showing complete response – was it just 4 weeks, as per the definition, or actually much longer (in which case it may become interesting again)? We still want to know more about the US treatments, but we are less keen to re-mortgage the house and stick Quent into intensive care without better statistics.

Meanwhile, the positive news is that one of the studies showed 10%+ survival rates, ten years after treatment. For both high dose and combined therapy. I was a bit “hoped out”, especially as Dr Savage never gives us such stats, but Rob was very encouraged. Which is good enough for me.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a roller coaster ride this is?! Good thing you are gripping on tight, determinined to finish with a huge cheer.The great news for you, for Quent and for Oakley is that when you've got the bit between your teeth you may go down the odd side route but you'll never give up. And my guess is the detour will have made you all the more determined.

Have a fabulous day
Jo
xxx

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 8:24:00 am  
Blogger Sylvaine said...

When Panny asked me what the news were on the blog I said a) Quent is not going to the States and b) one of the studies showed 10%+ survival rates ten years after treatment.

I find it easier to move on on the bad stuff and stay focus on the good as a general rule :)

Thinking of you,
Sylvaine

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 1:26:00 pm  
Blogger Paula said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 3:41:00 pm  
Blogger Marius said...

As most, am still in the corner, waiting to come out fighting. Prayers are with you all,
ttfn xxx

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 3:46:00 pm  
Blogger Paula said...

Well I'll try again as it looks like I didn't really succeed yesterday.
I decided to add my comments here on the blog, thus becomming a "bloggeuse" as I follow regularly the blog but I keep my comments to myself.. partly as I never know what to say, and partly as I am worried that my Mum see my bad spelling.... Having lived 20 years in France, it is much to be desired, but compared to the french, it's just fine!
However, I would like to say that the blog makes "great" reading if it wasn't for the subject, and instead of remorgaging the house, you should sell "les carnets de Helen Web", although Quent you would rather feel like an object, so maybe Helen should stick to the good old stories like "Kevin the Carpet fitter"...
Anyway, keep your chins up...

Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:38:00 pm  
Blogger Paula said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:38:00 pm  
Blogger Paula said...

Well I'll try again as it looks like I didn't really succeed yesterday.
I decided to add my comments here on the blog, thus becomming a "bloggeuse" as I follow regularly the blog but I keep my comments to myself.. partly as I never know what to say, and partly as I am worried that my Mum see my bad spelling.... Having lived 20 years in France, it is much to be desired, but compared to the french, it's just fine!
However, I would like to say that the blog makes "great" reading if it wasn't for the subject, and instead of remorgaging the house, you should sell "les carnets de Helen Web", although Quent you would rather feel like an object, so maybe Helen should stick to the good old stories like "Kevin the Carpet fitter"...
Anyway, keep your chins up...

Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:38:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are both so brave - showing so much courage in the face of many ups and downs! Much love to you both ..... thinking of you.

Sarah, Les and Ellie xxx

ps Les tells me that he is prepared to sell his body to help with costs of the possible US trip. Not quite sure how that is going to help!!
pss on reflection might only get you to the Isle of Wight...!!! Think you will need another plan!

Friday, May 11, 2007 7:59:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home