Saturday, November 10, 2007

We're back (home and online)

Thanks to Anita - and to Jonathan, who was temp PA to my temp PA. Apparently his typing is faster. Behind every great woman...

There's plenty to catch up on. I really missed you all at the hospital. When I blog, I feel connected with so many people and so much love. (That's the hippy in me coming out.)

We had a good week off. It's amazing how much more quickly time goes in Chiswick than in Manchester. It must be part of the North / South divide. The week was mainly spent resting and playing with Oakley at home, but we did get out for a few pub lunches and a couple of gentle walks. Oakley and I went trick or treating, Quent put in a brief appearance at Scouts and we all made it to the school Hallowe'en disco (at 3.30pm!).

Before we knew it (Mon 5th Nov), we were back in Manchester. Quent put a spectacular Bonfire Night display into the sick bowls after dose 1. The doses this time were very tough and Quent found it hard going. Dose 1 was the sickness dose, dose 2 seemed to affect the kidneys and it took ages to "PU" (that's Nurse speak for passing urine). By dose 3, Quent had blurred vision, a numb lip and diarrhoea - which is always worrying for me because I know I can't spell it. ;o)

However, there were no major crises. Although the High Dependency folk came onto the ward, they never made it into our room and nor did the emergency ECG machine. That made it much more bearable for me. It's upsetting to watch any dose, of course, but I wasn't actually frightened this time around. We progressed slowly but steadily through the week. That said, there was some tension on the ward one day. Quent started to rigor and the nurses realised that someone had gone home with the only key to the controlled drugs cupboard. Oops.

I was trying to help out where possible and at one point I was even asked if I was a Nurse. Only my family will know just how funny this is. Nothing could be further from the truth but I am, these days, a dab hand with an oxygen mask. Maybe one day I will be able to do blood, gore and hospital corners too.

The funniest part of the week, however, was when Quent decided he'd had enough after dose 7. One of the Nurses said she thought Prof wanted him to do one more. "Well, he can bugger off", was Quent's reply. He didn't quite say that to the Prof himself, but he was very firm that the show was over. The Prof tried to persuade him for a little while but finally admitted that 7 is a very good number. He even volunteered that we had started early on Monday so couldn't be expected to be carrying on to the bitter end. It didn't stop his calling the ward at 9pm last night asking the nurses if Quent had changed his mind and wanted to go again. "Have I got News for You" was on. How apt!

Anyway, we are home at last and the next big event in the calendar is... Christmas. Bring it on.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marius said...

Bugger off is meek and mild, he would be on his arse and in the doorway after the first dose with me so to do seven and still standing the prof should count himself lucky it's Quent and not me there !
Glad to hear your home safe and sound, will call during the week if i'm about and take you 4 lunch or coffee around the corner.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 12:44:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got back from India and logged on. Happy to hear that you are back down in the not so sunny south.Catch you all soon. Clare

Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:12:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Helen, Quent & O. Thank you for the updates (I guess that's also thank you to the stand-ins and hackers who updated on your behalf!), and congratulations on finishing the next round of treatment. Look forward to seeing you all soon. Lots of love, Alison x

Monday, November 12, 2007 12:07:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello naughty neighbours. good to know you are back safe and sound. must catch up soon, have a new red wine for you to sample. Plus can most definitely recommend a trip to ramsay's place. wishing you lots of R and R. see you soon and bloody well done J&J xxx

Monday, November 12, 2007 10:06:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home