Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The great escape

Full of ant-icipation, Oakley and I ran downstairs yesterday morning to check the pets. I noticed straight away that there seemed to be fewer of them. Just 10 in fact. Then Oakley noticed one on the outside of the container and another squeezing its way out of the tiny airhole at the top. I hope Nasa space shuttles are more secure than their ant habitats.

Having watched both Nemo and A Bug's Life, it didn't seem right to put them back in, after they'd made their escape. Those Disney / Pixar people have got a lot to answer for.

So now there are 10. They are digging and meeting, but I can't help feeling they are missing their friends. I know, it's ridiculous! They look as if they lack purpose compared to Sunday (risk assessment was obviously route planning). Quent tells me I tread on 30 a day without even knowing it, but somehow, I feel a bit cruel now, keeping 10 of them trapped on and in the gel. The whole thing has been a terrible ant-i climax.

Now, back to packing and sorting childcare. We head north on Friday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

You wouldn't believe it that I have actually got a BA Hons degree... but I still can't seem to publish a comment regularly on the Blog. OK I never know what to say, but it is quite frustrating when I think of something to say, that I can't express it freely without revealing my computer illiteracy (and also my English bad spelling remember, but all this cheese and wine doesn't help in France...)
What I really wanted to say is that I'll be thinking of your last trip to Manchester (come-a-lung" you're nearly there...).
Grosses bisessss and thanks for the good blog reading. PLEASE write a book Helen, what with Quent doing a bit a plain sailing and with Oakley providing the “m-ant-erial” for the book contents, it would be fantastic! Think about it!
Paula

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:43:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were they shouting "You ant seen nothing yet" as they left?

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:15:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could bring some northern relatives back to join the Chiswick ants. It could be an experiment on how the two cultures intermingle. If they're ants who originate from expensive parts of Cheshire, they meet, breed and have offspring called Chardonnay. I'm talking rubbish. Only had half a glass of wine so no excuse.
Good luck with your last bout. One good thing is that the closer it gets, the sooner it is that it will be over.
Then get the lung bit sorted and the only thing left to do is party!
Jen x

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:09:00 pm  
Blogger Sylvaine said...

Good luck with your last trip, take care and keep us updated ;)

Friday, May 16, 2008 1:33:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home