Saturday, August 16, 2008

A walk in the park

I could hardly believe my eyes when I arrived at the hospital this morning. Quent was sitting in a chair with a huge grin on his face. No oxygen mask, no morphine or saline drips. He had had a cooked breakfast and was playing with his new toy - a breathing exercise thing. He was on level 4 already and looked very disappointed when I managed the same level.

By mid morning they had removed his chest drain and kicked him out of ITU. He walked down to the ward and we spent the day watching the Olympics. All being well, he'll be coming out tomorrow - although the surgeon did stress that he needs quite a few weeks' recovery and won't be fully back to strength for three months. Apparently, today may have been a "honeymoon" and Quent might find it a lot tougher, physically and emotionally over the next few days. We will not attempt the drive back down to London tomorrow, but may come as far as Anita's.

Quent kept telling my mum last week that the operation would be a walk in the park. I wouldn't be surprised if he is able to do just that in a few days' time. Bolt's family aren't the only ones feeling very proud this evening.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear you are up and about. Thinking of you all.
Bob & Ali.
x

Sunday, August 17, 2008 11:29:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that things continue to improve. Don't get too carried away Quent. I found it very difficult to stay still after a much minor op so I know you will find it difficult to sit still - but you must for a while.
Geoff

Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:51:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home