Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Escape from ItzCold

Before Christmas I was offered a part time job in Barnsley for three months. Now, most people might not be too keen on a 3 hour commute, but a cold house and an empty bank balance can give you a funny perspective on life*. When my contact suggested the overnight stay might not be compatable with family life, my only answer was "Is the hotel heated?"

Like all good escape plans, my first attempt was thwarted. I set out last Tuesday before dawn and made it to Sheffield before having to turn back, due to the most amazing amount of white stuff falling from the sky. Eight hours of radio 4 later, I arrived home again.

This week was easier. My plan to construct a glider in the attic failed - Oakley and Quent were using all the spare wood to build a sledge - and my hope of digging a tunnel under the M1 was dashed as we'd lent the shovel to a neighbour for the snow. In the end, I went for a Volvo, a bag of sweets and a thermos - and it worked a treat. Here I am in the warmth of the Ramada Encore, tapping away and watching the telly.

For those of you hoping for any sensible updates on our progress, the summary is as follows:
  • Work has practically stopped on the house as roofers don't work in the snow and the plasterer reckons he's still snowed in.
  • We had a lovely Christmas and New Year and now I should be back at Weightwatchers, but the meetings clash with my regular night of hotel living.
  • Oakley's school was only open one day in the first week back. The home-made sledges were great.
  • Quent has to see a urologist as he has blood in his urine. The Prof thinks it's unlikely to be kidney cancer related, so we're trying to stay calm.
We hope 2010 is happy and healthy for you all and that everyone else's building projects are going faster than ours.

*Top tip: If your husband suggests having the central heating removed in the summer, do ask when the replacement will arrive.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jenny H said...

Barnsley! Have you really still not got any heating?! I hope you have an extensive collection of thermal garments of every description. There again, from memory when you did have heating, it didn't bring visions of tropical warmth to mind. Jen x

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:09:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home