Sunday, May 27, 2007

Living beyond our means

We've been very busy of late. It has been like one of those supermarket dashes... See how much you can spend in 3 mins. Or in our case, 3 weeks.

A week ago we went, with friends, to the Fat Duck in Bray. Amazing restaurant, fantastic food, 18 courses of entertainment and Quent "I've-got-my-appetite-back" Webb still dragged me out for a curry that night! I am sure we are the only people to have had snail porridge, bacon and eggs ice cream and a chicken tikka masala all in one day. There was no dry ice at the Annapurna in Chiswick, but there were free chutneys with the poppadoms which made up for the lack of theatre.

Next week, Dr Savage permitting, we are off to Antigua and the Virgin Islands for a couple of weeks. We have our own yacht for 7 nights in the middle. I am not sure one non-sailor, one cancer patient and one 3 year old makes the ideal crew, but this is not the Fastnet so I think we'll be OK. Quent and Oakley seem pretty confident they can handle the boat between them. Apparently the islands are truly tropical and the snorkelling is fantastic so Dr Savage had better be permitting.

Meanwhile, we retain a sense of normality with the Scout Movement Centenary Camp, held this weekend in driving rain. Quent ran a pioneering activity which involved lashing together telegraph poles and sending Scouts to the top on rope ladders, as far as I could tell. Yes, I admit, I missed the big moment. I may be a Scout Leader's Wife, but in my case it's Be Prepared ... to tell me about it later if it's raining.

We will see Dr Savage on Tuesday. We haven't heard back from the USA yet, so we have an unusually small list of questions for him this time. I will post an update before we hand the keys to our house-sitter and head off to Gatwick.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too spent the weekend in galeforce winds and rain at a centenary camp - unfortunately not the same one!! and although I got fairly muddy it was no where near as muddy as I used to get at camps with the Batchworth Venture Scouts........

Hope you have better weather in Antigua

enjoy the break

Jane

Monday, May 28, 2007 8:34:00 pm  
Blogger Marius said...

Here's hoping for a break in the clouds, and a sympathetic Mr Savage !
If it's your want, you should get is my philosophy. Enjoy....
.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:56:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm yachting in antigua currently - the weather is lovely, but beware of the start of hurricane season!!! want to hear all about it. have a wonderful time.
lots of love bryony
xxxxx

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:19:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home