Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Doing drugs with pretty nurses

I may have given the impression that this treatment consists of a series of IL-2, pethidine and oxygen. The truth is far more complicated. When I heard Quent say to one of the nurses "I think I need another shot, Cate", my thoughts turned to Pete Doherty. Even he may (allegedly) be phased by the concoction of pills and injections which has been Quent's life for the last five days.

On top of the IL-2 and pethidine, he's had ample quantities of metocopramide, ibuprofen, temezepam, gaviscon, piriton, levofloxacin, paracetamol, ondansetron, gabapentin, ranitidine, nystatin, phosphate sandos and loperamide. New names are being promised as a going home present. In my acceptance speech, I would like to thank the nurses for their assistance in translating the prof's writing.

Side effects to date include thrush, flaky skin, foaming at the mouth, shortness of breath, fever, low blood pressure, painful legs, itchy eyes, poor circulation, swelling and diarrhoea.

The latter provided last night's drama, after a final dose which otherwise was better than expected. Quent realised he needed "to go" and so led a 4am procession to the bathroom, with nurses, wife and various monitoring machines following behind. Unfortunately, Quent collapsed on the way and then convulsed when we got there, so a portable oxygen canister joined the parade. Oh, you'll always find me in the bathroom at parties.

We are hoping to leave this evening or early tomorrow morning. These five days have been a steep learning curve. We know how wonderful and experienced the team is here. We know how Quent is likely to react, the layout of the hospital, what to pack next time - and what not to. And, last but not least, we have learned to appreciate the wonders of the out-moded and under-rated commode.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Helen & Quent,

I've been getting my daily fix of your lives at Christies and whilst I really do appreciate how hard it must be for you both, I haven't been able to stop giggling when I've read your blogs out to Jonathan each night.

Having spent a lot of time at Christies I can picture the scene and am glad there's no hallucinogenic drugs in Quent's cocktail to add to the drama!

Keep up the positive approach and remember we're close at hand for all your northern requirements.

Anita & Jonathan

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:37:00 pm  
Blogger Hells Bells said...

Amazing stuff - phew! sounds like both of you have totally been through the mill and STILL come out seeing the funny side -
You are truly inspirational.
I'm so pleased you're through with round one and will soon be on your way home. Sending you love and hope to see you soon. Hxxx

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:38:00 pm  
Blogger lewis clan said...

Fabulous copywriting skills as always, Helen. I was exhausted just reading it, so fingers crossed for a restful break for you both - although Oakley may have other ideas...Take care. Jayne x

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazed at the running commentary - glad that Quent is providing advice while being treated. All fingers are crossed.

Ed, Veronique and Hattie

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:59:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you two! I am truly awe-struck at your strength and teamwork. You really are amazing. And now that's one lot over and done with.

I know you will want to come home and have a quiet, recuperative time so won't come calling but we're very much here for films, a quick visit or even to cook you both a lovely supper while you rest.

Ju and Jase xx

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:20:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear that Quent is coming to the end of this round of treatment. He's always been a fighter with a wild streak who brings humour to any situation. Bet he was really surprised to see Andy after all these years.

Helen - your blogs are great to the point with a sense of humour I can see what what atracted you to each other.

Pass my regards on to Qwent and I hope to get to see/talk to him once you get home.

PS - I've got a spare wireless router if he wants one for the ward :-) it will only work part of the time if plugged into the faulty socket!

Bob Honour

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:38:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Helen and Quent,
Thinking of you as ever, glad the first stint is over... you are both amazing!
Love and hugs
Claire S

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 12:07:00 am  
Blogger Charles&Carol said...

Hi love this blog it's my first and so bloo frustrating go knows how you are both are coping when i am so mad this is mad my 3rd attempt to send you lots of love and huggs my spelling goes when stressed if if does not accept my password this time ! I do love3 this blog xx

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 9:27:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ali and I are thinking of you both very much. I'm sure you are delighted to be getting back home again for a good spell of recovery and vegging out, not to mention catching up with Oakley. More power to you all.....
Bob

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 9:37:00 am  
Blogger Julia said...

Wow - you have really been through it the last few days but now you're coming out the other side and hopefully a much brighter side. We're thinking about you all the time.

Lots of love
Jules, Jason, Isabella & Claudia
xxxx

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 9:50:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Quent and Helen,
Returned from 10 days away and just read the whole IL-2 story through our tears. The very best of luck to you both; if anyone deserves to be successful with this pioneeering treatment, it is you.
We hope you can soon add ample quantities of ethanol to your treatment list.
Much love, Robin and Gill xx.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 9:50:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Webbs
As always our thoughts are with you guys.

The blog is as always fantastic, I don't know how you get the words together in the way that you do, I can only imagine it helps you get through this very difficult time.

We look forward to further updates hopefully with good news

Best wishes as always

Andy & Carol Martin

Thursday, August 02, 2007 10:04:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Q

Just a note to wish you all the best, If there is one person that has the strength to get through this and deserves to come out the other end happy and smilling, you are that man.

If I am still in the UK when you have completed your first two sessions look me up. I would love to hear more tales of high velocity potatoes and jet propelled tree lighters.

P.S. I used babelfish to translate this to pommy in case you were 'havin truble undeestandin mee axe-cent' :-) all the best

Friday, August 03, 2007 2:13:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home