Friday, August 10, 2007

Ding Ding. Round two.

Joanna arrived at 6.50am to babysit Oakley before breakfast. For a lady with no kids, this was quite some favour. And, sadly, it turned out to have been totally unnecessary as we sat around for hours when we got here before anything happened. They had a very busy day with other patients having crises, so we sat and waited - and watched Ocean's 12 on DVD.

I like to think I might have lost a pound or two due to extreme nerves. When we arrived, they told us we were in the room right by the nurses' desk so they could keep an eye on Quent - "because he was so ill last time". I made the mistake of asking what the concern had been over dose 10 and they replied "cardiac arrest". To reassure me, they told us that the Critical Care unit knows Quent is coming back and that he's not just an IL-2 patient, he's Quentin Webb IL-2 patient, with everyone alerted. He's getting himself a reputation.

I feel calmer now because:

1. I have persuaded myself that if his SATS (oxygen saturation) fell to 40% and he didn't have a heart attack, that shows his heart must be very strong. This might be rubbish, but I have learned my lesson not to ask for the real reasons and to stick instead to my own cosier version of the facts.

2. Prof Hawkins seemed very unconcerned. He said the SATS aren't always accurate when the patients are rigouring because of the jiggling about. Apparently it's the measurement he is least concerned about. He also politely suggested I went home just after I showed my nervy wife side, so I think I'd better keep my mouth shut.

3. Quent has now had two doses and they went pretty well. He rigoured a full four hours after the first - and not strongly, even then. It's six hours since the second dose and no signs of rigours yet (My sister, Frances, is by his bedside while I update you in case he's just very late). He has been pretty sick and is on constant oxygen as the nurses don't seem to share entirely the Prof's phlegmatic nature.

Please keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming. They really do help us all - as do your blog comments, texts and emails.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did Quent remember to pack his electrical toolkit this time, to sort out those troublesome sockets between doses?

Thinking of you both and have fingers glued crossed for the next few days...

Ben xx

Friday, August 10, 2007 9:14:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am taking great comfort in the fact that the nurses felt his extreme reaction last time merits a place near their side ...it MUST be doing him good.

That said, knowing Quent as we do, it may just be a clever nursey cover up for more readily accessible flirting material.

Sounds like you need to do some more flirting with the Prof and less of the nervy wife stuff.

Had a nice lie in the morning ...

Jo
xx

Friday, August 10, 2007 10:46:00 am  
Blogger Sylvaine said...

Good luck guys, we're thinking of you!

Sylvaine & Panny

Friday, August 10, 2007 3:57:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you loads. Saw Mandy and Michiel the other day and they were asking about you. Mandy will be pleased you're in safe Mancunian hands! Jen xxx

Saturday, August 11, 2007 5:58:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home