Saturday, August 11, 2007

It's a knockout.

I had been playing my joker on the sleeping game. Dose 4 finally went in at 10.30pm, with rigours at 00.20. By 1am, the pethidine had kicked in and I reckoned on five hours' fairly uninterrupted sleep before they even threatened the next lot.

Quent had other ideas. Around 3am his SATS (oxygen levels) dropped and his temperature soared. He recovered reasonably well (albeit on maximum oxygen for the rest of the night). By 4am I should have been able to sleep again, if only I had been able to drop off. Every time the machine beeped, I lept up to read it.

I couldn't believe it when, at 6.30am, they did his observations and seemed set to go. They check oxygen levels, pulse, blood pressure, urine and temperature. Usually he fails on at least one and we have to wait a while. This time he failed (by a mile) on bravery of wife, but sadly that's not on the list. Quent was keen to go again, in spite of feeling dizzy and "beaten up", with pains in his left arm. (The blood pressure cuff had been on that arm all night and it's also the one the drip goes into.) They gave him (me!) a bit of grace and dose 5 went in at 7.25am.

Lorna and Phil had planned to come today so I rang and asked them to rush over to hold my hand in time for the rigours. Phil has other commitments this morning, but Lorna has lept in the car and is on her way over. I hope my nerves are unfounded and that, later on, she's cursing me for panicking.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Overwhelmed by your bravery and fortitude. Our love and thoughts are with you and we will toast you both as we round the Fastnet Rock: if we get that far this year. Robin.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 9:38:00 am  
Blogger Sylvaine said...

Keep it up guys, remember the guy who was only coming for a top up, He went through it and it worked for him. Fingers crossed, prayers, positive vibes, thoughts and everything else for you, we're keeping a close eye on the blog for more updates.
Do they need any sockets there? We have a few spare!

Sylvaine & Panny

Saturday, August 11, 2007 9:54:00 am  
Blogger Marius said...

Have caught up on the news and am sorry for the timing of my call the other day. Timing never a strong point with Q and Me. Thinking of you both,and will catch up when invited, won't drop in and slow down the procession to the hospital or doctor or commode !
Much Love

Saturday, August 11, 2007 5:38:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hang on in there and Helen, I suggest you make some lists in the wee small hours, what about the list of people who are thinking about you both and wishing you both well and praying for a great outcome. That list? well it's certainly a long one.

Take Care
Clare x

Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:43:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My lovelies. Sounds like you are doing so well. I reckon if you can do this, you can do just about anything. And every treatment brings you a step closer to coming home. Lots of love to you both Ju and Jase xxx

Saturday, August 11, 2007 7:59:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you both through this difficult time, but keep going strong Quent, we know you can do it Emma x x xx x x

Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:46:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home