Thursday, October 23, 2008

The weeping wounded

Sorry for the long silence. I have been lost in the garden. I should be working, doing the housework etc, but I argue that none of those jobs will get hit by frost if I leave them for a week or so.

How is Quent? He is very chirpy and loving the house. After a couple of near misses (Can I do a bit of light digging in the garden? Shall I chop those logs? etc), he has settled into a very sensible routine. The hospital told him to get mobile, so he often walks Oakley to school. Otherwise, he is resting and reading his new book, "Old House Handbook". This seems to be a catalogue of the terrible things people find when they start work on old houses. (We aren't planning to start until next Spring, but it's all good research and it keeps him out of harm's way.) I talk to him about the onslaught of ivy and he talks to me about soil pipes and underfloor heating. It's riveting stuff.

Back to Quent's health. My sister, Frances, saw his scar on Saturday (at his request, so he must have been a tiny bit concerned). She said it's not right. Not terrible, but it's still a bit weepy in the middle and it should have healed by now. We are going back to the surgery tomorrow to see the nurse. In fact we are going to the surgery twice tomorrow as Oakley was sent home sick from school today. I am not sure why we are going to the doctor's for Oakley - he has self-prescribed a cocktail of TV, biscuits and constant attention, as well as the odd slurp of Calpol. What more can the professionals add?

We are also waiting for a date from Christie's for Quentin's next scan, which is due at the end of October. Needless to say we are not looking forward to that, but hopefully all will be clear and Quent can have three months without any treatment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home