Friday, September 18, 2015

The new boy

We didn't have many maudlin moments when Quent was first diagnosed, back in 2006. There wasn't much time and we didn't want to spend it 'wading knee deep in tears', as Quent put it. But there was one occasion when I was feeling low and shared with Quent that I just wanted him to see Oakley start school.

Quent replied that he wanted to see him start Secondary School ... and I thought I had a problem on my hands. It was one thing being optimistic, but with a prognosis of around one year's survival and a two year old son, I was concerned that Quent hadn't quite grasped the seriousness of it all.

So, two weeks ago, when Quentin waved Oakley off to his first day at Rickmansworth (Secondary) School, I felt quite emotional. Not for my little boy (although of course I was pleased and a bit nervous for him too), but for my bigger boy, who pulled it off, against all the odds.

In true 'new school' tradition, here's a picture of him, taken in front of our door.




Definitely a 'new boy' since Prof Hawkins and The Christie Hospital got their hands on him. As they will again on Monday when we head north for the next scan.

3 Comments:

Anonymous helen randle said...

I'm very proud of both your 'new boys' too! Fabulous picture and liking his smart uniform :) thinking of you tomorrow xxx

Sunday, September 20, 2015 1:24:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Helen what a lovely post and testament not only to the medical experts but to you, Quent and Oakley and how you have cherished each other and grabbed life with both hands. Helen L xx

Monday, September 21, 2015 1:33:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely post. Thinking of you all for next scan.
Nice legs Quent! 😜 xx

Monday, September 21, 2015 3:19:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home