Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas preparations

Just TWO days to go, as Oakley squealed in my ear this morning.

Which means we've missed the last post and apologise to those of you (most of you!) who didn't get a card this year. I have three (genuine) excuses; please take your pick

1. I left all of "Quent's side" to Quent and they just didn't happen.
2. I spent so much time spelling out the names of Oakley's friends as he ploughed through his, I never seemed to get to my own.
3. Everything happens slowly around here. We have to factor in the "stare" factor. Gazing at the garden, staring into the firelight. We have taken W.H.Davies at his word and are fitting in plenty of standing and staring.

Today, Quent is at work and I am on Christmas preparations. At least I was. I was even cleaning the kitchen floor, when I was tempted away by a 4 year old explorer (he became an explorer when his Mummy went to heaven apparently. Hmm.) He asked me if I'd like to join him on his journey to the Virgin Islands or whether I wanted to stay and do boring jobs. I was immediately tempted. Once I heard the bits about the hammock and sipping coconut milk whilst we sunned ourselves, I was in.

We (Felicity and Jack) set off with our imaginary back packs and had a lovely time. I was very impressed to hear that Jack always carries a tent with a chimney so that Santa can come. And a Christmas tree. And crackers. No wonder that pack felt so heavy. We had a fabulous morning, in spite of our horses nearly being attacked by wolves and one of our hammocks being stolen. It was 3.20pm before I remembered the time-honoured tradition of sticking your children in front of the TV in order to get the jobs done.

We all hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a happy, healthy New Year. Here's a Christmas card in the making, in the form of our front door:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you all! I hope you have a fantastic day and look forward to seeing you all very soon.

I hope the fat man in the red suit doesn't disappoint!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 9:05:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thks for your Christmas card - i didnt know you'd moved so mine is prob stuck in some sorting office unless you still have redirection on?
House looks gorgeous - but i cant believe you have moved AGAIN without selling your other house!!?? Have you sold it yet? Good luck with all the renovations!
Have picked my way through some of yr blogs - what a year you have both been through. I cant begin to imagine where you both find the strength from.
Have a wonderful Christmas and i really hope 2009 turns out well - it certainly puts credit crunch into perspective! Love Chris x

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 11:14:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got back from your adventure in time for Christmas. It could have been difficult keeping that chimney upright in the tent if it was a windy night. Happy New Year when the time comes. Here's to an excellent 2009 with plenty of opportunities to have fun rather than doing chores you're 'supposed to do'. Jen x

Monday, December 29, 2008 6:36:00 pm  
Blogger Paula said...

I am honoured to be one of the ones to receive a Christmas card... why are some people amazing and others not...? our latest Christmas card count was 5...thank you for being one of them Helen and co. The other 4 are my Mum & Dad, (that doesn't really count!) a friend in Canada (really organized for it to arrive on time!) one in the USA (same organization, I must get that "organise yourself soft ware" for my computer....there is also the soft ware "how to do 48 hours work in just 12 hours... and be a good wife") and one from a UK friend, but computer signed (if you think circular letters are bad, computer signed cards are depressing!)
Anyway, enough about me, lets drink and wish to 2009... a 2009 with a breakthrough for Helen, Quent and Oakley (or Felicity, Jack and... let me see... Cassidy, sounds good).
I know you're not supposed to tell your wishes when you make them... but you all know my turkey wish-bone wish now...
Paula

Thursday, January 01, 2009 5:19:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home