Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Noisy sex and council meetings

What happened to May? I haven’t blogged for ages. Or tweeted. Or Linked in or Facebooked. I confess. I have gone the cyber equivalent of deep undercover - and am in danger of becoming a social media pariah.

Well, we’ve been busy. Mainly in the garden, enjoying the warm weather with friends and a glass of Pimms. We’ve had barbecues, sleepovers and children’s parties. We’ve been to York, Whitby and a wedding. We’ve had the May Fair, the Canal Festival - and my grandmother to stay. I can’t count the number of Oakley’s friends who have come round to sit on his platform (a pallet on top of the wall) or to dig for hours in the mud. It seems like ages since we went up to Manchester and it’s still another seven weeks or so before we go again. Bliss.

We are starting (finally) to get organised on the house project. The listed building consent is due any day. We went to the Grand Designs Show and picked up a rainforest of brochures in the eco section. We have a team of conservationists pretty much in place and we hope they will start re-pointing and repairing timbers next week. Not before time. We have heard knocking in Oakley’s bedroom and he’s only five. Apparently it’s probably death watch beetle, which only mate at this time of year – so they give it their all. The noise is the male banging his head against the wood to get the female’s attention. What can I say?

We are told death watch beetle is nothing to panic about. (A bit like the beam not reaching the ground, I guess.) The beetles’ eggs can take up to 10 years to hatch so there’s no point trying to kill them – instead we have to change their environment (eradicate the damp) and hope they go elsewhere for their orgies. A man is coming to have a look tomorrow. It’s not in the budget and I can feel my swanky new bathroom slipping through my hands as I type.

Quent is well and definitely recovering. Every time I think he’s better, he puts on a bit more weight, gains some colour and I realise he still wasn’t 100% before. I guess it will take a long time for his immune system to recover from all the operations and treatment over the past couple of years. At the moment, he’s busy organising a Batchworth Scout reunion this Saturday. Three hundred people all coming to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It’s touching.

Oakley is as gorgeous as ever. He was so kind to Nana when she stayed, rushing to fetch her stick, doing the barn dance with her and offering to sleep in her bed if she was lonely. He had a great half term, full of friends and fun and now he’s planning a party for his year 6 friends before they go off to secondary school. (On the invite list so far are Hattie, Georgina, Michaela, Abbey, Katy, Isobel, Hayley, Shaunie, Kiera and a couple of token boys).

If a short post is a good post, I've failed dismally, but there's been a lot to tell you. And I haven't even mentioned the big news. One of us has joined the council. Bet you can guess who.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home